Tuesday, May 30, 2006

From 'The Art That Moves' - Len Lye

I, myself, eventually came to look at the way things moved mainly to try to feel movement, and only feel it. This is what dancers do; but instead, I wanted to put the feeling of a figure of motion outside of myself to see what I’d got. … I didn’t know the term ‘empathy’ – that is, the psychological trick of unconsciously feeling oneself into the shoes of another person – but I was certainly practising it. I got so that I could feel myself into the shoes of anything that moved, from a grasshopper to a hawk, a fish to a yacht, from a cloud to the shimmering rustle of ivy leaves on a brick wall. Such shoes were around in profusion. …

When not observing motion I felt it in my actions. For example, I worked outdoors for a living and I didn’t move an inch without consciously trying to feel my various muscles working in rhythm while I enjoyed the motions my body made, shovelling, riding, sewing up wheat bags.more..

more on Len Lye

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY!
»

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home