Wednesday, August 16, 2006

MAKE IFA - Jayne Cortez

Make Ifa make Ifa make Ifa Ifa Ifa 

In sanctified chalk 

of my silver painted soot

In criss-crossing whelps 

of my black belching smoke

In brass masking bones

of my bass droning moans

in hub cap bellow

of my hammer tap blow 

In steel stance screech

of my zumbified flames 

In electrified mouth

of my citified fumes

In bellified groan

of my countrified pound 

In compulsivefied conga

of my soca moka jumbi

MAKE IFA MAKE IFA MAKE IFA IFA
IFA
 
In eye popping punta

of my heat sucking sap

In cyclonic slobber

of my consultation pan

In snap jam combustion

of my banjoistic thumb

In sparkola flare

of my hoodoristic scream

In punched out ijuba

of my fire catching groove

In fungified funk

of my sambafied shakes

In amplified dents

of my petrified honks

In ping ponging bombs

of my scarified gongs

MAKE IFA MAKE IFA MAKE IFA IFA
IFA


* Ifa = a system of divination developed by the Yoruba of Nigeria, based on the interpretation of cowrie shells tossed on a tray.

moreJayne Cortez

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home